One of my all-time favorite childhood books is Alice in Wonderland. Since the beginning of the new year, I’ve been slowly re-reading it. Reconnecting with Hatter, March Hare, the Caterpillar, and Alice is like spending time with old friends. I must have been dreaming about the book last night, because I woke up this morning thinking about Alice and The Red Queen. If you’re not familiar with the story, during their croquet game, Alice says to the Queen, “Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”–true Lewis Carroll silliness considering that she is in Wonderland, which itself is impossible.
As I now sit at my kitchen counter watching the morning news, drinking my morning coffee, I’m thinking to myself, “What six impossible things before breakfast can I believe today?”
- My husband will magically stop snoring forever! No more nose strips. No more special pillows. Just normal, quiet breathing.
- My children will decide that no child needs an allowance. They will do all chores, assigned or not, for the love of their adoring mother!
- All political ads will magically disappear from the planet! No TV ads, no radio ads, no more mailers…poof! Gone!
- When a person simply THINKS about wanting chocolate cake, chocolate cake magically appears! To eat! Without calories! No fat! No guilt! Just like Alice, “Eat me!” (But to grow smaller, not bigger!…except in my case, I’m only 5’1″…growing a little taller would be a welcomed “impossible thing.”)
- Chicago’s weather would remain a lovely 75 degrees year round…perpetual spring temps! (Can you tell that I’m sick of the winter weather??)
- A wealthy entrepreneur will one day read my blog and decide to donate a billion dollars to bolster my fledgling writing career. That way I could sit at my kitchen counter all day, drinking coffee, re-reading Alice while waxing poetic about more impossible things…and be rich!!!
What are your six impossible things for today?
Now it’s time for breakfast…too bad there’s no chocolate cake.